Dogs and humans share similar taste buds. Just like humans, these adorable creatures also crave sweets and candies. However, these canine companions suffer adverse consequences when they consume chocolate.
The ingredients used in the production of chocolate can poison them and in rare instances it can even be fatal. Wish to save your pooch from the dangerous consequences of chocolate? Read on, as we will be discussing everything that a dog owner should know about dogs consuming white chocolate.
In this article, you will be learning:
- What makes white chocolate unhealthy for dogs in detail
- Is white chocolate toxic
- The possible health risks of feeding white chocolate to your dog
- What you should do if your dog consumed white chocolate
- The perfect alternative of chocolates for your dog
Can Dogs Eat White Chocolate?
There are a variety of different chocolates available in the market. One of them being the white chocolate (aka milk chocolate), is made of cocoa beans, cocoa butter, milk solids and a little bit of vanilla.
The biggest reason why white chocolate is considered unhealthy for dogs is because it contains a chemical called theobromine. A dog’s body can’t metabolise this substance like a human body.
White chocolate is considered as less toxic for dogs than normal chocolate. However, that doesn’t erase the fact that it consists of high amounts of sugar. Sugar can be very unhealthy for your dog’s body. Thus, dogs cannot eat white chocolate.
Although white chocolate contains far lower quantities of theobromine than dark chocolate does, it is still not safe for your dog to consume even a small amount. White chocolate has 0.25 milligrammes of theobromine per ounce of actual chocolate.
When dogs consume white or any other kind of chocolate, theobromine starts to accumulate into the body. It rapidly starts to increase and could be a cause of death.
White chocolate candy also contains caffeine, which is again not healthy for a dog’s body at all.
Possible Health Risks
If your pet eats white chocolate with more than 40 milligrams of theobromine, they could experience the following:
- Cardiac Issues
- Racing Heart Rate
- Heart Arrhythmias
- High Blood Pressure
If your dog consumes more than 60 milligrams of theobromine, then things could go worse and it could affect your dog’s neuro system and cause tremors, twitching, and even seizures. Symptoms Of Chocolate Poisoning In Dogs
If your dog is experiencing the following symptoms, it means that they might be suffering from chocolate poisoning. Make sure you explain to your vet about all the symptoms in detail so that you get the perfect treatment.
- Panting or restlessness
- Increased heart rate
- Excessive urination
- Abdominal pain
My Dog Ate White Chocolate: What Should I Do?
If your dog has consumed white chocolate, you should make every effort to keep track of how much your dog consumed in addition to the other components that were present in the white chocolate.
Your next move should be to take your dog to animal hospital immediately and get in touch with a local veterinarian. The faster theobromine is cleared from your dog’s system, the better your dog’s prognosis will be.
If your dog has eaten a high amount of white chocolate, your veterinarian may administer activated charcoal as a treatment option. This will assist in the absorption of any possibly toxic components that may be present in the chocolate. This will also help to stabilise other symptoms of chocolate poisoning.
The Perfect Alternative
Ever heard of the Carob plant? It is known to be the safest alternative of chocolate for dogs. Carob is known to have the most similar taste as chocolate and is even a little sweeter than cocoa.
Unlike regular cocoa, carob does not contain caffeine, theobromine, oxalic acid, phenylethylamine and other substances that could be toxic to dogs. In fact, it is rich in nutrients like calcium, and magnesium that are considered healthy for a dog’s health.
Here are a few options of carob chocolates that are totally safe for dogs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions that will help you clear your doubts regarding white chocolate and dogs.
How Long Does It Take For a Dog’s Body To Start Showing Symptoms Of Chocolate Poisoning?
It can take upto 24 hours for a dog to start showing indications of sickness after eating chocolate. Although, in rare cases it could take longer.
How Much Time Does It Take For a Dog To Recover From Chocolate Poisoning?
The recovery time depends on the amount of chocolate consumed by the dog and the kind of treatment given by the vet. However, the symptoms might persist for about 3 days.
Are There Any Long Term Health Risks Associated With Chocolate Poisoning?
The likelihood of long-term health damage from chocolate poisoning is very less. A vast majority of dogs make a full recovery after the treatment. However, in severe cases, dogs may acquire long-term secondary consequences as a result of major problems, such as brain damage caused by protracted seizures if the seizures last for an extended period of time.
- When compared to dark or normal chocolate, the toxicity of white chocolate for dogs is significantly lower.
- White chocolate contains a significant amount of fat and sugar, and should not be given to dogs.
- If your dog has consumed white chocolate by mistake, you should contact your veterinarian immediately in case any adverse symptoms occur.
- Instead of giving your dog white chocolate as a sweet treat, try giving them chocolates made of carob plant instead.
Before You Go
There are still many pet owners that are not aware about the seriousness of feeding chocolate to dogs. Don’t forget to share the information with your friends and neighbours. More than 100 dogs die because of chocolate poisoning each year. This also includes street dogs that are fed chocolates by strangers.
During festive celebrations like home coming and christmas, try to keep your pet away from chocolates and other sugary items. Make sure, there is no chocolate wrapper lying around your house. Even those foil wrappers could be a choking hazard for your pooch.